line decor
  HOME / PUBLIC WORKS HOME / CAPITAL PROJECTS ::  
line decor
   
 
CAPITAL PROJECTS


Public Works Crew (pictured left to right):

STAY UPDATED....

For up-to-date information on projects, check this page frequently as it will be updated to notify citizens of changes, progress and completion dates. For general project information, please send an email to publicworks@blackdiamondwa.gov or call 60.851.4446.

To view information about Small Works Roster consideration, see the SMALL WORKS ROSTER page.

CURRENT PROJECTS

     

 

232nd Asphlat Overlay
Start Date: Spring/Summer 2020
Contractor: Pavement maintenance of Washington (Awarded May 7, 2020 - Resolution No. 20-1350)

The 232nd Asphalt Overlay extends from SE 288th St. to SE 293rd Pl. and is part of the 2020 Citywide Asphalt Overlays project. Public Works received a grant for 85% of this work from the Washington Transportation Improvement Board with City Street funds covering the other 15%.

 

 

 

SE 312th Asphalt Overlay
Start Date: Spring/Summer 2020
Contractor: Pavement Maintenance of Washington (Awarded May 7, 2020 - Resolution No. 20-1350)

The SE 312th Asphalt Overlay extends from 224th Ave. SE to the gate for the Lake Sawyer Regional Park and is part of the 2020 Citywide Asphalt Overlays project. Public Works received a grant for 85% of this work from the Washington Transportation Improvement Board with City Street funds covering the other 15%.

 

 

   

Railroad Avenue Overlay
Start Date: Spring/Summer 2020
Contractor: Pavement Maintenance of Washington (Awarded May 7, 2020 - Resolution No. 20-1350)

The Railroad Ave. Asphalt Overlay extends from SR 169/3rd Ave. to Park St. and is part of the 2020 Citywide Asphalt Overlays project. Budgeted Street funds will cover the costs of this project.

 

   

Public Works Shop Entrance
Start Date: Spring/Summer 2020
Contractor: Pavement Maintenance of Washington (Awarded May 7, 2020 - Resolution No. 20-1350)

The Public Works Shop Entrance Overlay extends from Lawson St. south into the Public Works shop area, including the parking lot for the gym, and is part of the 2020 Citywide Asphalt Overlays project. Budgeted Shop Improvement funds will cover the costs of this project.

 

   

Lawson Street Chip Seal
Start Date: Spring/Summer 2020
Contractor: Doolittle Construction

The Lawson St. Chip Seal project extends from Newcastle Dr. east to city limits. Work includes asphalt patching and a chip seal to extend the life of the road. Public Works received a grant for 85% of this work from the Washington Transportation Improvement Board with City funds covering the other 15%.       

 

     
 
     

UPCOMING PROJECTS

 
stormwater treatment
 

SR 169 & North Commercial Stormwater Treatment Facility
Start Date: TBD
Completion Date: TBD

         
Public Works staff received a Water Quality Improvement Program grant from King County in the amount of $243,643 and was able to use the funds to purchase property at the intersection of Roberts Drive and SR 169. Public Works staff is currently working to secure grant funds to install a stormwater filter vault on this property, along with the installation of storm pipe on SR 169 to capture runoff from SR 169 and the north commercial area, and convey it to the new filter vault for treatment prior to being discharged into Ginder Creek. Currently, all polluted stormwater runoff in this area discharges mostly untreated to Ginder Creek. This project would clean up the heaviest stormwater pollutant loading into local receiving waters in Black Diamond.


     
covington creek culvert replacement
 

Covington Creek Culvert Replacement
Start Date: TBD
Completion Date: TBD

The Public Works Department has been looking at different options for repairing/replacing the culverts between Lake Sawyer and Covington Creek. Public Works has been successful in obtaining grant funding to explore options for replacing these culverts and protecting the roadway. Public Works is currently working with the King County Flood Control District in regards to design and funding options. Design for this project could be completed in 2020.


 

No picture  

Ginder Creek Trail
Start Date: TBD
Completion Date: TBD

The Public Works Department began work on constructing the Ginder Creek Trail between Roberts Dr. (north of the library) and Morgan St. (near Ginder Creek) utilizing a Youth and Amateur Sports Grant from King County. Public Works is seeking additional funding to complete this trail. The trail will mainly be gravel except for a portion of elevated boardwalk that will be needed to cross a wetland and minimize the impact.


 

Morganville South Water Main Replacement
Design: Mid-late 2020
Construction: Spring/Summer 2021

Public Works staff received a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) from King County to replace the aging asbestos concrete water main on Morgan Dr. and Union Dr. between Roberts Dr. and Buena Vista Dr. with a ductile iron water main, replace/add fire hydrants, and overlay the current roadway, including Alpine Dr. The grant received by CDBG amounts to $358,517 with a total project cost estimated at $560,000.

 

 
     

COMPLETED PROJECTS

     

 

New Shop Fence and Gate Repairs

  *Accepted by Council: December 19, 2019

Work to install a new fence and gates around the Public Works Shop has been completed. This fence will provide better security for City vehicles and equipment. Work also included repairs to the gate at the old sewer lagoon and repairs to a railing at the City’s Swinging Bridge. This project was funded by City of Black Diamond funds. South Sound Fencing out of Maple Valley was the contractor for this project.

     
 

Park Street Improvements

*Work completed by Public Works staff in early 2020

While work is completed on Park Street, further work may be required. Public Works staff modified the roadway on Park St. between 2nd Ave. and 3rd Ave., making it one-way westbound between 3rd Ave. and the Skate Park parking lot, updating signage, and striping. Public Works staff continues to monitor the roadway and will determine if further updates will be needed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Roberts Drive Improvements

* Accepted by Council: September 19, 2019

Work has been completed on the Roberts Drive Improvements project between 236th Ave. SE and Bruckners Way. Oakpointe completed the portion between 236th and just west of the Rock Creek Bridge, and the City completed the portion from just west of the Rock Creek Bridge to Bruckners. Goodfellow Bros. Inc. out of Maple Valley was the prime contractor for both portions. Funding for the City portion came from Transportation Improvement Board grant funds ($482,731), City funds ($67,485), and Oakpointe ($46,000). This project added a pedestrian walkway on the south side of the Rock Creek Bridge with lighted handrails. This project completed a gap in sidewalks between Bruckners Way and 236th Ave., and will allow pedestrian access between the King County Library, historic downtown area, Morganville, and Ten Trails.

 

 

 

 

 

 


2017 - City of Black Diamond. Contact Us - Disclaimer.